Big Numbers : A Mind Expanding Trip to Infinity and Back
Author: Mary and John Gribbin
Publisher: Wizard Books
Condition: Very Good (minor signs of wear, small repair bottom of front cover)
Big Numbers is a brilliant and imaginative book for 10 to 12-year-olds which paints a fascinating picture of the comparative scale of phenomena in our world, from the vast to the infinitesimal. The reader is taken on a roller-coaster ride through maths, physics, chemistry, biology and technology:
- from zero to infinity in maths and time
- from subatomic particles to galaxies
- from the speed and size of the Big Bang to the size and age of the universe
- from the speed of light to the power of gravity
- from the size of a White Dwarf to that of a Black Hole
- from a strand of DNA to the evolution of life on Earth
- from the Hubble telescope to nanotechnology. . .
Combining words and pictures Big Numbers will fire the imagination of any bright youngster.
'Races through black holes and the thin green smear on Earth's surface (life as we know it), to the lengths of light and speed of the air. . .a feat of facts. Would entertain bright children and adults alike.' New Scientist