Author(s): Andrew Langley
Publisher: Bardfield Press
100 Facts Pirates covers key topics about the lives of swashbucklers in easily-digestible, numbered facts. Every page features detailed illustrations and colourful photographs that bring the text to life for kids. One of our bestselling pirate books for children, the thrilling facts will appeal to even the most reluctant of readers.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Pirates:
- Life aboard a ship as a pirate or a galley slave
- Attacking sea rivals, plundering a ship and punishment on the gallows
- Myths about desert islands and buried treasure
Examples of 'I don't believe it' fascinating facts such as:
- When Francis Drake raided the treasure store at Nombre de Dios, he landed at night, captured the guns and fought off the guards. But when the store was opened, it was empty!
- While she was a pirate, Grace O'Malley cut her hair short to look like her sailors. This earned her the nickname of 'Baldy'!
- One of the most valuable cargoes of all were the spices from India and Sri Lanka. But they were difficult to sell, and pirates simply dumped them overboard.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
- Design a pirate flag using bones, skulls and scary pictures on a black background
- Quiz question: What kind of sword did the buccaneers invent?
- Map puzzle: Find some famous pirate places on the world map in this book